Montgomery County Development Corp. Executive Search
SSG has been retained to conduct a search for the Executive Director for Montgomery County Development Corporation in Iowa.
The Montgomery County Development Corporation (MCDC) seeks a progressive and dynamic individual to lead economic development activities within Montgomery County. The Director’s primary function will be to lead a proactive, responsive and collaborative organization that promotes job creation, retention and economic vitality of Montgomery County and all communities located within the County.
- Work with the partners of Montgomery County Development Corporation (MCDC) to promote the continued expansion and growth of existing businesses in Montgomery County by implementing a proactive outreach program where one-on-one assistance will be provided. Assistance provided includes: real estate options, access to local and state incentives, financing options, connections to utility partners for infrastructure improvements, connections to city and county officials for projects that require zoning and planning changes, connections to workforce programs and access to demographic information.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors of Montgomery County Development Corporation (MCDC) to develop a parallel new-to-market business strategy that ensures Montgomery County is represented in business proposals, presentations, marketing materials and recruitment trips.
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors of Montgomery County Development Corporation (MCDC) to ensure they have accurate site/building, incentive, utility, labor and demographic information for RFI/RFP responses.
- Serve as project manager and the point of contact for new-to-market and expansion projects in Montgomery County and all communities located within the County. Project management responsibilities include ensuring that the client is receiving accurate and pertinent information in a timely fashion, the coordination of all in and out of city visits, consistent follow-up and follow-through and the maintenance of accurate digital project records.
- Work with the Montgomery County Development Corporation’s Board of Directors to maintain an efficient organizational structure that will strengthen the competitiveness of Montgomery County within the local, state and global economy.
- Facilitate preparation of all information for Montgomery County Development Corporation (MCDC) Board meetings including agendas, minutes and financials and provide staff assistance to the Board on an as needed basis.
- Work to identify target industry groups and develop marketing and sales initiatives focused on the targets and lead ongoing attraction efforts for WEDG. Act as the primary contact for new business considering the Washington County area.
- Pro-actively communicate the efforts of WEDG through local, regional and if applicable, statewide media, speaking engagements, personal visits and other appropriate means.
- Act as fiscal officer of WEDG and in conjunction with the Executive Committee, the Executive Director will develop an ongoing strategy to insure the financial stability of the organization. This may include planning a multi-year WEDG investment campaign.
- Establish and coordinate public relations and marketing programs to enhance recognition of the economic development efforts of Montgomery County Development Corporation (MCDC).
- Develop and implement a fiscally responsible budget ensuring that funds are safeguarded and administered appropriately.
- Establish collaborative working relationships by effectively communicating with investors, partners, community leaders and economic development allies.
- Remain aware of local and state issues/legislation that could impact business and industry.
- Provide regular updates to investors and partners including presentations at Board, city council and supervisor meetings.
- Create and maintain a professional relationships with the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) and other partners.
- Participate in economic development activities and projects throughout the region, including travel for recruitment, retention and training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS Degree plus 3-5 years’ experience in economic development or related field. Additional related training or certifications desirable.
- Knowledge of and experience in non-profit management of economic development organizations and economic development programs.
- Graduate of an accredited economic development program preferred.
- Proven track record of working and winning new business locations and assisting existing businesses.
- Strong analytical, organizational, financial, and motivational skills.
- Ability to prepare and present concise and effective written reports, interpret and administer policy, and design and implement an annual business plan.
- Knowledge of customer relations management (CRM) data bases strongly preferred.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Ability to plan, assign, and manage the work of volunteer boards and committees.
- Valid driver’s license, and ability to insure.
- Must be able/willing to travel to businesses in county and attend meetings.
- Ability to work with business, community and governmental leaders effectively.
- Knowledge of trends, developments, and techniques in the field of economic development and non-profit administration.
- Knowledge of state and federal programs.
- Successful grant writing experience is a plus.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential information.
- Ability to deal with problems and make sound decisions.
- Flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
Competitive salary with benefit package.
Please submit your cover letter, resume with references to Clark Smith by email only, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 515-314-9755
Please feel free to call or email Clark with any questions. Smart Solutions Group is a full service economic development consulting firm. We are completing the preliminary search for this position.